Le Moyne College is dedicated to providing an inclusive environment for all members of our community and supports the needs of our students by allowing them to choose a name, pronoun, and gender that accurately reflects their identity. Any student wishing to identify beyond their legal name, gender, or pronoun are able to update this information under the user profile in Phinfo. For more information on the College's policy for these changes, click here.
Preferred Pronouns and Chosen Names
All members of our campus community are encouraged to respect the preferred pronoun of a student both within and outside of the classroom. Pronouns allow individuals to identify beyond the gender binary of male/female and supports an inclusive environment while respecting the values and well-being of our students and their identities. Le Moyne students are able to identify as the following by updating their preferred pronouns under their User Profile in Phinfo:
- Name is used as the pronoun
Pronouns are displayed on rosters once a student chooses to update this information in Phinfo. Until this change is made, we encourage our faculty to refer to all students by their chosen name until and unless choose to update their preferred pronoun option.
Students also have the ability to update their chosen First, Middle and/or Last name in Phinfo, which may be done for a number of reasons that range from going by a particular nickname (ex. Katie instead of Katherine) or a chosen name that reflects their gender identity and preferred pronouns. While a legal name must still be used in a number of instances (see below), a chosen name reflects a persons identity and continues to support an inclusive environment. Inappropriate use of the chosen name option, including but not limited to misrepresentation, fraud, or attempting to avoid legal obligations, may be a cause for denying the requested change.
If a student updates their preferred pronoun and/or chosen name, where will it be displayed?
- Phinfo (Student, Advisor, and Faculty views)
- Course Rosters and Grading
- Advisee Listings
Where will a student's legal name still show?
- Billing information and notifications from the Bursar’s Office
- Colleague (Le Moyne’s Student Information System)
- Degree Verification
- Le Moyne Email address
- Enrollment Verification
- External reporting
- Financial Aid information
- Internal reporting within campus (both legal and chosen names are included)
- International Student and Study Abroad documentation
- Mail sent from the College to the student and/or home address
- National Student Clearinghouse
- National Student Loan Data Systems
- Payroll processing and forms
- Transcripts (official and unofficial)
- Any additional instances where the College feels the legal name is necessary
Will my email address ([email protected]) change?
A student’s email address cannot be updated without a legal name change. Students can, however, change their display name in Gmail so that it is consistent with their update to their Chosen Name. For more information, please contact the Service Desk for assistance (315-445-4579).
Can I receive a new ID Card?
Please contact Student Development and Campus Life (315-445-4520, 2nd floor of the Campus Center) to request a new ID care with your chosen name after it has been updated by you in Phinfo.
Like a student’s preferred pronoun and chosen name, the gender identity field is optional. If a student would like to share their gender identity and feel this information would be helpful for others such as advisors, faculty, or administration, students may update this information within Phinfo under the User Profile. However, unlike a students preferred pronoun or chosen name, the student's gender identity is not displayed anywhere but the student's own user profile. Sharing your gender identity is helpful for the College to provide supportive resources and adequate accommodations as needed to support the student's overall well-being.
A student may choose to identify with the following Gender Identities when updating their Phinfo information:
For more information about gender identities and definitions of these terms, please visit the Human Rights Campaign's website.
How to Update your Personal Identity in Phinfo
- Log into Phinfo: phinfo.lemoyne.edu
- Click on your username in the upper right-hand corner
- Go to "User Profile"
- Click on "Edit Personal Identity"
- Enter your Chosen Name, Preferred Pronoun, and/or Gender Identity
- Click "Save"
Changes to a user's profile will automatically be updated. For information on where these updates will be displayed, please read about Preferred Pronoun and Chosen name changes or Gender Identity changes.
Do you need to update your LEGAL name and/or gender?
If so, click here! Note that legal documentation is required.
Questions? Please contact…
- Registrar’s Office (GH 212; 315.445.4456; [email protected])
- Office of Inclusion (RH 344; 315.445.4189; [email protected])
- Title IX Coordinator (Dr. Melissa Moore, Assistant Dean for Title IX and Compliance; 315.445.4543; [email protected]; Mitchell Hall)
We encourage all members of our campus community to review our non-discrimination statement.