Resources for International Students

Regular Actions

SEVIS Registration (to be completed at the beginning of every semester)

Student Travel Notification

Access your I94


I-20 Update Request (for changes to funding, name, major, etc.)

On Campus Employment

Concurrent Enrollment Verification

Program Extension Request

Reduced Course Load Request

Transfer Out Request

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Request

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Request

Certificate of Finance

Additional Resources

City of Syracuse Information

Heath Insurance Plans

Career and Job Search Resources:

Internships for international students must be registered for credit. International students must fulfill all requirements of the internship proposal process through the Career Development Office as well as submit the required CPT request to the Office of Global Education.

The below resources are publicly available and are not endorsed by Le Moyne College.

USCIS Working in the United States - summary of employment-based visa classifications

USCIS H-1B Employer Data Hub - data about employers who have submitted petitions to employ H-1B nonimmigrant workers

MyVisaJobs - employment website for immigrants

4 Ways International Students Can Gain U.S. Work Experience with F-1 Visas - article from


Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse All Expand All

You will need to find out if you need a Canadian visitor visa. 

Check this Web site to determine if you do. If so, you will need to apply for the visa at the nearest Canadian Embassy, such as the one in Buffalo. They allow most applicants to either mail or deliver their application in person. The website will help you understand the process. If you do not need a Canadian visa to travel there, you should make sure to bring your passport, Form I-20, course schedule and financial support documents with you.

If you are considering a study abroad experience, schedule a meeting with the Office of Global Education at least a year before you intend to study abroad. Much of the process will be the same as all other students. But, you will need to begin this process early. While abroad, you must continue checking with the Office of Global Education periodically so that the SEVIS can be maintained accurately.

If you are considering an internship, contact the Office of Global Education to discuss your eligibility for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). If you will be participating in an internship then you likely will need to register for an intership course. You MUST get permission before your start date. This process takes time so you should plan ahead. Please note that you need to have been enrolled for one academic year before being eligible for curricular practical training.

International students that have studied in the US for at least one academic year can apply for optional practical training (OPT) following their studies. This gives them an opportunity to stay in the US for one additional year and seek employment that supplements their academic experience. Students must submit their OPT applications prior to their graduation or else it will be forfeited. Once the OPT has ended, individuals will need to apply for a change of status, transfer institutions, or depart the US.

First, determine if this will reduce you to part-time status (less than 12 undergraduate credits or 9 graduate credits). If you will be less than full-time, you MUST get prior permission from the Office of Global Education and your academic advisor BEFORE dropping the class. Second, ask your academic advisor if this will delay your graduation. All international students must complete their degree by the end date listed on the Form I-20.

If your F-1 visa expires while you are in the US then you do not need to do anything until you make travel plans. It is okay to be in the US with an expired visa, however if you plan to depart the country you will need to renew it before reentering. If you plan to travel home, you will need to apply for and receive a new US visa before you can return. You cannot apply for a new visa while you are in the US. This can take time so make sure you plan ahead.


Get in Touch

Amy Kennedy
Assistant Director, Office of Global Education

Campus Center, Second Floor
Le Moyne College
1419 Salt Springs Road
Syracuse, NY 13214
(315) 445-5427